Yes, I realize that all of you in Southern Alberta already know that it is freakin cold, but I had to say it anyways. I can't believe that it has been getting down to -40 . I haven't left the house in two days and I am starting to feel a little housebound. Today we will venture out to Sobeys to pick up some groceries...but it will be a quick trip as it is still -25 degrees. The last time we were out was when we drove home from my mom's on Sunday evening. My sister has finally moved home (YIPEE!!) and we had to go say hello. When we left, the sun was shining and it was +4 degrees. Being the super mom that I am, I didn't pack mitts or heavy clothes for the kids. (They did have hats and their winter jackets, but Cam didn't have boots and I didn't have anything but my mitts and coat.) The wind started to pick up but I thought that it would just be a typical AB winter evening. About 7 pm, I looked outside and saw major drifts over the driveway and decided we better get on the road. I threw the kid's car blankets in the dryer, started packing up the kids, got them in the truck all snug in their warm blankets and set off. (you need the play by play right?) I have NEVER driven worst roads in my life! The 845 hi-way was drifted so bad, I basically plowed snow the whole way. I could barely see the road and was probably driving down the middle anyways. I was only going 40 kms/hr (no joke) and basically freaked every time someone passed me going the other way. I was so glad that Lexie and Cam were sleeping so I could concentrate and freak out in peace. I tried to figure out where I could turn around and go back, but I was so afraid I would get stuck and the only thing that I could think of was my dad telling me that when you are driving in snow, kick it in 4x4 (did I mention I LOVE my Explorer) and don't stop!! I don't know how long it actually took me to get to hi way 4 but it was clear driving from then on. I am so grateful to own a 4x4 , especially in those kind of times!
1 comment:
freaking cold is right!
Post a Comment