I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that being a parent is easy...and I can attest to that this week. Last week I got determined with the potty training issue; went a bought the book that I mentioned last time, read it, got stocked up on rewards and began the battle. I wish I could say "Yup, it worked. We are all done" but that would have been too easy. But I have to say that we are a lot farther ahead then ever before.
My other issue that I am determined to conquer is Cam's sleep issue. Just to survive in the beginning, I would do whatever I could come up with to get him to sleep. Nursing was always a sure thing and now I have to admit that I have done wrong. After talking it out with his doctor, I have enlisted the help of a sleep therapist for him. Crazy thought eh....paying someone to tell me how to get my child to sleep. I have learned lots though (after reading the 198 page book). I need to teach him to fall asleep on his own. Part of the plan results is letting him cry, even though I can be beside him (not holding) while he falls asleep. I can't even explain how hard this is. But I am determined to be a good mom and if this is what I have to do to help him through this, then this is what I will do. It is SOO hard. Now, don't think that I never let him cry at anytime, because he does his fair share. But I have never let him cry himself to sleep and have always comforted him when really upset. I guess I just need to be strong and know that this will not scar him for life. Part of being a good mom is teaching and supporting and loving your kids through their struggles and allowing them to progress as you guide. Now I just have to follow through with my plan. Wish me luck.
****update****
So today was the first day for this plan. Cam cried 1/2 hr before his first nap and a bit longer then that for his second nap. (They were only 20 min naps but baby steps, right?) BUT I am ecstatic to report that he went to sleep in less then 2 min at bedtime WOOHOO!! And when he woke up about an hour later, he put himself back to sleep without me and with only very minor distress. It will be interesting to see what the night brings, as I can't nurse him during the night. But hey...I taste some success and that should drive me through the night. I'm soo happy!!
1 comment:
glad to hear that there is some progress happenening..... like you said,just be strong, and never forget that you are an awesome mom!! Lexie and Cam love you no matter what!! Hope you get to sleep through the night!! i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Post a Comment