Tuesday, August 2, 2011

To Infinity and Beyond...No Really!!

I have worried about Cameron's social skills for some time now. He is still really a Mama's boy or is attached to Lexie when it comes to being around other kids, not to mention the fights and whineyness that happen when he plays with other friends. I got a flyer in the mail advertising a Space Camp being held at the preschool he is attending in the fall and thought it would be perfect! We get him all pumped up to go, focusing on the theme and how he is big/old enough to go by himself.  I drop him off the first day and he doesn't even hesitate. Runs right in and starts to play! "PERFECT!" I think, this is going to be easier then I thought. I pick him up and it goes downhill from there.
M: "So did you have fun at Space School today?" (all smiles and thinking I am the smartest mom ever!)
C: *arms crossed "NO! I didnt' FLY! I didn't go in a rocket! I didn't even meet an Albian (alien)! I am NOT going again!"

Apparently in all of our enthusiasm and trying to get him excited to go, I didn't notice that he really expected a trip to space! The next few days were started with tears and bribery to get him to go back. I guess I have to rethink my motivational speeches.

No comments: