Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm no Bakerella...

Have you ever done something really dumb and you just couldn't believe you could  do something soooo dumb? Well I have.....and its really too good not to share this story. 

Well, I'm no Bakerella but I thought I could handle this recipe  for Monkey Bread. (Yes, I realize the recipe is from Pioneer Woman -who if you haven't discovered her blog yet....its the best- but Bakerella sounds better and she is fantastic too!) Anyways....i had all the ingredients to make this recipe and so I thought why not try it.  So I mixed the sugar and cinnamon, melted the butter, cut the dough, mixed it together and dumped it into the pan. I even cut the recipe in half and thought I was good to go. I put it in to bake and you would not believe the mess that came out of my oven! I couldn't figure out why it flopped. So I called my mom who is the best baker that I know. I described what I did and she immediately knew where I went wrong.  Let me teach you what I learned....

Do you know what this is? 


 This is the pan that I used for the Monkey Bread recipe.

Ok. 

So where is the problem, you ask?

Do you know what this is?


This is the pan I SHOULD have used.

Apparently, not all pans are the same. I had a pan with a hole in the middle. I assumed it was a BUNDT PAN. But apparently it was a JELLO MOULD. Who would of thunk it....you can't make Monkey Bread with a jello mould.  

**Disclaimer-the jello mould was something that I collected when we were cleaning out my grandpa's kitchen when I was a young teenager. I have never been able to make jello and don't even like jello, therefore I can not be held responsible for not knowing what a jello mould looks like. thank you.

 

2 comments:

Amy, Mike and our Girls said...

So maybe I am just dumb but why did the shape of the pan make a difference in baking the monkey bread? Or was it just made out of cheap metal? I guess I am no bakerella either!

Suz said...

I guess the pic doesn't do it justice. The jello mould is not nearly as deep as the bundt pan and with the bigger hole in the middle made all of the dough go up and over the sides. It was a mess! Great recipe once you use the right type of pan. I bet an angel food pan would work too but then again..I shouldn't make pan asssumptions!